In 1873, the New City Gas Company of Montreal begins gas production at a site on rue du Havre, in the east part of the Centre-Sud. A product of coal at the time, gas was primarily used to light the streets, as well as to light and heat certain residences. The New City Gas Company is acquired by the Montreal Light, Heat and Power Company in 1901. It occupies the site at rue du Havre until 1958, at which point the Quebec Natural Gas Corporation takes possession. The company then becomes Gaz Métropolitain in 1969 and Énergir in 2018.
A device used to measure the amount of gas used by a client. Gas meter of the Montreal Light, Heat and Power Company.
A service request form addressed to the Montreal Light, Heat and Power Company, from Mr. Oscar Denis, at the start of the 20th century.
A certificate given to Victor Limoges, at the end of 1967, for driving a Quebec Natural Gas Corporation vehicle over 61,000 km without accidents. Victor Limoges was a piping inspection foreman.
Safety in the workplace is an important issue at Quebec Natural Gas Corporation. As acting foreman, Victor Limoges received a certificate for ending the year 1964 without any major accidents in his department.
Business cards of Mr. Victor Limoges, distribution foreman, circa 1966.
Key chain with an image of a character associated with the natural gas industry. This one would have been created in the 1950s by artist Gene Hazelton, at the request of the natural gas industry. It was first used by an Ontario company before being picked up by the Quebec Natural Gas Corporation, among others.
Salt and pepper shakers in the form of small characters associated with the natural gas industry.
Matchbox with a message for employees.
Quebec Natural Gas Corporation badge.
Large burners were used to operate on the gas network. Action being taken by the inspection team on a street in Verdun, circa 1957.
Quebec Natural Gas Corporation workers in Verdun, circa 1957.
Photos: Daphnée Bouchard