Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe: Church with Unique Architecture

  • Location: 1969 Ontario Street (corner of Dorion Street)
Church of Sainte-Marguerite-Marie-Alacoque (today Notre-Dame-de-Guadalupe), date unknown. Écomusée du fier monde
Church of Sainte-Marguerite-Marie-Alacoque (today Notre-Dame-de-Guadalupe), date unknown. Écomusée du fier monde

Built in 1924-1925, the Church of Sainte-Marguerite-Marie-Alacoque faces Ontario Street and is flanked by Bordeaux and Dorion Streets. It is the work of two renowned architects, Ernest Cormier and Emmanuel-Arthur Doucet, and is characterized by its Byzantine-inspired architecture.  Initially, the church was named after Sainte-Marguerite-Marie-Alacoque, a saint canonized in 1920. In 1992, however, the church was passed on to the Latin-American community, who renamed it the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Motherhouse of the Sisters of Providence: Footprint of a Community’s Social Work

  • Location: 1434 Fullum Street (corner of Sainte-Catherine Street)
Motherhouse of the Sisters of Providence: Footprint of a Community’s Social Work
Motherhouse of the Sisters of Providence, circa 1980. Écomusée du fier monde

Located in the southern part of the Sainte-Marie neighbourhood, the Motherhouse of the Sisters of Providence was a convent and now stands as a heritage site. The building is a reminder of the importance of this religious community founded by Émilie Gamelin in the mid-19th century to meet the needs of the poor, sick and destitute. The Motherhouse began undergoing a transformation in 2011 with view to house social economy enterprises and create housing for seniors.

Church of Our Lady of Czestochowa: Symbol of Polish Involvement

  • Location: 2550 Gascon Street (corner Hochelaga Street)
Church of Our Lady of Czestochowa: Symbol of Polish Involvement
Church of Our Lady of Czestochowa, circa 1984. Écomusée du fier monde

The Church of Our Lady of Czestochowa is located in the northeastern part of the Sainte-Marie district. It is affiliated with the oldest Polish parish in Montreal. Built in 1946, this church replaced the first church erected thirty years earlier, which had become too small for the needs of the community. The church remains, even today, a place of worship dedicated to Montreal’s Polish Catholics, and is one of the most emblematic testaments to their presence.

Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Parish: One of the Oldest Parishes in Montreal

  • Location: 2310 Sainte-Catherine Street East
Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Church and Presbytery, circa 1990. Écomusée du fier monde

Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Parish was founded in 1867, following the dismantling of Notre-Dame Parish, which had been the only Catholic parish in the city until then. The first church was built in 1876. Destroyed by fire in 1924, it was rebuilt according to the plans of architect Ludger Lemieux. In 2007, the church and its presbytery were sold to an evangelist group who renamed the site Église de la parole de vie [Church of the Word of Life].

Saint Michael the Archangel Parish: The Ukrainian Community in Montreal

  • Location: 2388 d’Iberville Street
St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Church
St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Church. Écomusée du fier monde

Active in the neighbourhood since the beginning of the 20th century, the Ukrainian community initially settled around the current site of St. Michael the Archangel Church. A first church was inaugurated during the Easter celebrations of 1917. The building was reconstructed according to Orthodox church architecture in 1954. Many of its services shaped the lives of the Ukrainian community, which counted 700 worshippers in 1931. The parish, which celebrated its centennial in 2011, continues to thrive. Its presence in the neighbourhood is a testament to the cultural importance of the Ukrainian community in Montreal.

Sainte-Brigide-de-Kildare Site: Witness to the Transformation of Religious Heritage

  • Location: 1151 Alexandre-de Sève Street
Sainte-Brigide-de-Kildare Site: Witness to the Transformation of Religious Heritage
Sainte-Brigide-de-Kildare Church and part of the Sainte-Brigide school, circa 1900.
Diocese of Montreal at the end of the 19th century, Montreal, 1900.

Founded in 1867, the Sainte-Brigide-de-Kildare parish was founded in response to a strong Irish community in the east part of the city. However, the Irish were given another place of worship and Sainte-Brigide became a French-Canadian parish. Since its requalification in 2006, the site has undertaken a social and cultural mandate led by the Sainte-Brigide Community and Cultural Centre. Today, the site is an inspiring example of the requalification of religious heritage.

Saint-Eusèbe-de-Verceil Church: An Example of Romanesque Revival Architecture

  • Location: 2151 Fullum Street
Saint-Eusèbe-de-Verceil Church and its presbytery
Saint-Eusèbe-de-Verceil Church and its presbytery. Écomusée du fier monde.

Saint-Eusèbe-de-Verceil Parish was established in 1896 to cater to the growing population in this part of the neighbourhood. A temporary chapel was first built for religious worship. Construction of the church began in 1913 and was halted for a few years before being completed in 1923. The Romanesque Revival style building is imposing and is a prominent visual landmark on Fullum Street. Gardens along Dufresne Street provide an interesting visual perspective on the back of the church.

Saint-Pierre-Apôtre Site: Designated Heritage Site

  • Location: 1201 de la Visitation Street
Saint-Pierre-Apôtre Church, circa 1900
Saint-Pierre-Apôtre Church, circa 1900. Provincial Archives of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, Richelieu.

The Saint-Pierre-Apôtre site is an exceptional heritage site that includes the Saint-Pierre-Apôtre Church, a presbytery and two other buildings that have served multiple purposes. This designated historic site is associated with the Oblate missionaries of Mary Immaculate, who arrived in Montreal in 1848. Of Gothic Revival style, Saint-Pierre-Apôtre Church is still open and welcomes many members of the gay community. Created by the Oblates in 1973, the Centre St-Pierre is a popular learning centre that today operates out of the former Saint-Pierre School on Panet Street.

House of the White Fathers / Afrika Centre: A Touch of Africa in Montreal

  • Location: 1640 Saint-Hubert Street
Facade of the House of the Missionaries of Africa, during building reconstruction
Facade of the House of the Missionaries of Africa, during building reconstruction.
Montreal Archives.

Established in the neighbourhood since 1934, the House of the White Fathers is a testimony to the historical links between the Centre-Sud and the missions of Africa. Several generations of missionaries passed through the house on Saint-Hubert Street, on their way to or from African missions, thus creating links between Africa and Quebec society. Since 1989, the building has housed the Afrika Centre, a social and cultural centre serving Montreal’s African communities.